Monday, March 1, 2010

A Canadian's Faith

Mike Fisher, a 27 year old Forward for the Ottawa Senators, is one of a handful of faith-based players in the NHL. This is his testimony...

As a kid, I grew up going to church on Sundays. My parents always stressed this as a central part of my life and I grew up to understand the importance of having a balance in life and finding a purpose through our Creator. I believe we are all gifted in certain areas and it's our responsibility to use these gifts that God has given us for His glory.

Playing hockey in the NHL has been a dream of mine since I was young, and realizing this dream at the age of 19 was an unbelievable experience for me. Its hard for me to describe how lucky I feel to be playing the game I love. I am very fortunate to be able to make a living playing hockey, but I have come to realize that playing in the NHL is only a small part of who I am, and not the part that defines me. As I have grown in my faith, I have come to realize that it is not about religion but relationship. Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what I believe truly defines a person and how we find eternal significance. Everything else fades away and becomes wood, hay and straw. Sometimes its very humbling to realize that we are here today and gone tomorrow. I find true comfort in God's grace, knowing that I fall short in many ways, but He's always there for me through the good times and bad - no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment